Today has been marked on my calendar for a year. My baby is one. One! On October 24, 2017 at 10:15 am, Emmanuella Joy Dedrick came into the world and forever changed my life. Now 12 months have passed and I have a spunky, active toddler in my life who is learning to walk (5 steps so far!) and is happiest when she is destroying something.
In a way, the year has whizzed by; it seems that she simply can’t be a year old already. But at the same time, I can’t imagine life without my daughter. It seems so long ago, like she has always been a piece of my heart. From that perspective, of course she’s a year old.
Regardless of how long or short it feels, this past year has been the best I have ever experienced.
Here are some things from this year I want to hang onto forever:
- Emmanuella falling asleep on my chest as a newborn. It’s a rare occurrence if she falls asleep in our laps today. And I never know when will be the last time, so I soak up every one.
- Dustin dancing her to sleep every night for months.
- How often we watched Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy during my maternity leave. Dustin and I would watch and Emmanuella would have her hour of PURPLE crying.
- The way that Emmanuella adores attention. This past Sunday in church, she stood up, leaned on the pew, and waved and said, “Hi!” to everyone behind her. We have no sign of stranger danger or shyness.
- How delighted I feel when she says “Mama.” “Dada” is far more common, so each time is a thrill.
- Those perfect baby giggles. Right now she thinks it’s the funniest thing ever if I pretend to eat her food.
- That yummy baby smell Emmanuella has after bath time.
- What flawless baby skin feels like.
- The struggle of making it through our hip dysplasia journey but how much strength we gained along the way.
- How fun it is to go to the grocery store with a baby riding in the cart.
- How strangers come up to me and tell me that my baby has my eyes.
- The precious rolls Emmanuella has on her arms and legs. You just want to eat them up!
- All of the firsts we’ve experienced this year: big ones like the first Christmas and first steps, and little ones like the first time in a swing or in the pool. Everything is new and exciting.
- People who ask, “Is she like this all the time?” as she smiles at everyone she meets. Yes, she really is. Emmanuella is the most easygoing baby in the world.
- The fun places we’ve gone: many Flying Squirrels baseball games, an Orioles game, Busch Gardens Christmas Town, the National Zoo, camping, the pumpkin patch… this girl doesn’t slow us down. She just makes going places all the more fun.
- How Dustin and Emmanuella go outside to wave every morning when I leave for work and are waiting on the porch when I come home.
- All I’ve learned about God’s perfect timing and love for us. Emmanuella is our perfect gift from God and I am so grateful.
October 24 is going to be a special day in our house for the rest of our lives. We celebrate our dramatic, beautiful, happy-go-lucky Emmanuella and remember the day she was born – 7 pounds, 8.3 ounces of perfection. She has changed and grown so much since that day, but no matter how big she gets, the love I have for my daughter grows along with her.
Photo courtesy: Missy Brown Photography